We are two weeks into 2019, and I don’t know if I’m surprised it’s already 14th January or shocked it’s not yet March. The weight loss adverts promising they are not diets have come and gone (I assume, I hid them as they popped up on my social media feeds), and we’ve had the passionate posts reminding us calendars and dates are arbitrary, and we should not throw our 2018 selves away like so much waste plastic. While I agree that resolutions are often dispiriting and doomed to fail, I think it’s a good time to think about what we can do to make our lives more enjoyable. Over the crimbo-limbo period I got a little new agey. I have made a Vision Board for 2019 (I’ll be honest and say it’s just pictures of people with excellent lipstick and hair) and my word for the year is Vibrant. I want 2019 to be a year of colour, energy and joy. This year I will spend more time doing what I love and less time fannying about scrolling though social media. My resolutions aren’t about trying to change who I am, but to making sure I spend more time doing what makes me happy.
We don’t know what will happen in 2019. Brexit looms over us and, even if you think it’s a good idea, as I guess you are entitled, none of us have a clue what will happen. I am inclined to brood over things I can’t control or that may never happen. If I’m not careful, I can become overwhelmed by news stories on how the country will grind to a halt if there is a no deal Brexit. I’ve decided I will not have a rubbish year just because the world is turning to shit. I have no power to stop Brexit, but I can make sure I’ve spent my Saturday afternoons doing something I enjoy.
So, these are my goals for 2019:
- Read more. I want to read 50 books this year. I love reading, but I easily fall out of the habit, especially I’ve been plodding through a book I’m not particularly enjoying. But my journey to work is 40+ minutes by train, so instead of scrolling through Instagram or playing a silly game, I will read. I’m making good progress as I‘m already on books 3 and 4 for the year. Please add me on Goodreads if you want to see what I’m reading.
- Do more sewing. I bloody love making stuff. Aside from the joy of having new clothes, sewing is one of the most relaxing things I do. When I hide in the spare room with true crime podcasts and my sewing machine whirring away, I forget everything else. Plus, I want to master the overlocker I got for Christmas.
- Blog more. I need to record the sewing and the reading somewhere — if I don’t share it on the internet did it even happen?
- Keep the house tidy. I am the messiest person in the world but I get sad and stressed when I live in mess. I doubt I’ll ever become a properly tidy person, but I have watched Tidying Up with Marie Kondo so you never know!
- Wear outfits that make me feel awesome. I love clothes — I make my own clothes FFS! I want to dress in a way that reflects my personality and creativity, but recently I’ve been wearing any old thing and I don’t feel like me. To make sure I can’t wear drab outfits, I’ve had ruthless clear out of the clothes I don’t enjoy wearing.
- Wear more lipstick. Along with wearing boring outfits too often, I spend far too much time admiring cool makeup looks on Instagram and not wearing them myself.
Let’s see what 2019 holds!